Saturday, February 28, 2009

If You Love This Country, Pony Up

Some folks are born silver spoon in hand,
Lord, don’t they help themselves, oh.
But when the taxman comes to the door,
Lord, the house looks like a rummage sale

Fortunate Son
Credence Clearwater Revival


I am going to say something that nobody seems to be willing to say…

In order to restore this country’s strength, I am willing and prepared to pay my fair share.

Roads, schools, hospitals, police & fire departments do not pay for themselves. Bullets, bombs, tanks, jet fighters, and other tools and services of war are not free. Necessary Innovations like green technology or reforms to health care can only come about through Government investment, which is expensive. The banking mess, which we all had a hand in by not handling our money responsibly, requires Government intervention, which will end up costing a lot of money

All of these things must be paid for one way or another and it’s time for all of us to pay our fair share. Now, if you watch the talking heads, you would think that the Government is trying to squeeze every penny out of us. The truth is, I just got a tax cut, and chances are that you did too. The only ones who are getting a raise in taxes are those of us who make more than $250,000 a year. If you do happen to make that much a year, congratulations, pony up. We’re rolling you back to the Clinton year rates, and things weren’t so bad in the 90’s, were they.

Most people I know don’t have nifty ways to save on taxes because we just don’t have that much. My tax form is pretty straight forward. I own a home and have a kid. After that, it’s a copy of my W2. I’m sure if you’re one of the 1% getting the rollback, you ultimately pay a greater amount than I do, but you make more and can absorb the hit, so l don’t really feel that sorry for you. It’s not like you have to trade in the Benz for a Dodge. I’m sure you won’t have to sell your home and I’m confident your standard of living won’t change that much.

For the good of the country, be an American, and pull your weight. Everybody else does.

No comments:

Post a Comment