Wednesday, April 8, 2009

15 Years – A Tribute to Kurt Cobain

I was a sophomore in college when I first came across Nirvana.  I was sitting in the lounge of my dorm watching MTV at something like 2 am.  I was really digging MTV at this particular hour because just about every video was new and exciting.  No Vanilla Ice or Bobby Brown during this particular hour.  They closed the hour with “Smells Like Teen Spirit” and I was completely blown away.

I was a senior when I heard of his death.  I was working as an intern for a video production company finishing my last semester of college.  I was driving back from a video shoot in Florida in a stripped down, white van with a second intern, who, coincidentally, I didn’t particularly care much for.  We were listening to the radio outside Louisville, KY when the announcer came on and gave the news.  It’s one of those strange feelings of sadness that I’ve had only a couple of times in my life.  I mean, I didn’t know Kurt Cobain and I never met him, but he touched my life in such a way that I still felt a connection. 

He made Nevermind, and at that particular time in my life, that shit rocked my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment