Friday, April 24, 2009

Hearing on Global Warming Sets My Hair on Fire

I was just watching CSPAN’s live coverage of the House Energy and Commerce Committee’s hearing on climate change.  Rep. George Radanovich (R-CA) was grilling former Vice President Al Gore.  Actually, the part that I caught, Radanovich wasn’t grilling as much as he was just spouting off about he wasn’t convinced that global warming exists and that any efforts to fix a non-existent problem would be catastrophic to the economy.

Do you smell that?  It smells like smoke in here.  Man.  My head is hot.  What is that?  Oh, I know, MY HEAD IS ON FREAKING FIRE!!! 

I absolutely hate this argument, and it’s not because he doesn’t believe in global warming.  It’s so shortsighted.  Believe it or not, there was a time in this country when they had to build brand new energy plants, lay brand new power lines, and tie everybody in America to the country’s energy grid.  In order to do this, we first needed to innovate.  Smart people needed to figure out how first make the energy then get it to the people.  Second, we needed to implement that plan.  That meant people needed to build the plants, run the plants, run the lines, plant power poles, and connect them to houses.  When everything was set up, we needed people to run the plants and maintain the network.  Nobody argued against doing all of this work, they just did it.  Plus, it created a ton of good paying jobs that helped the economy flourish. 

So now, we have an opportunity to create a cleaner, more efficient and ultimately more inexpensive power grid.  We also have an opportunity to create millions of new jobs and dolts like Rep. Radanovich are arguing that the economy can’t handle the switch.  I’m convinced that those that are making the same argument as Radanovich are in the energy lobby’s pocket because, to me, their argument just doesn’t make sense.

To add to the absurdity, Newt Gingrich is testifying right after Al Gore, so I’m sure we’ll hear more about how wind turbines and solar panels will decimate the economy.  Fools.

Would you do me a quick favor and turn that hose on and put out my head?  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment