Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Obama’s First 100 Days, Seriously This Time

You’re going to read a lot about Obama’s first 100 days as today is, ta-da, day 100. It really isn’t a big deal as there’s so much more to be done. That said, people like to benchmark and analyze what has happened and I am no exception.

It shouldn’t come as much of a surprise that I am extremely happy with our President. I am pleased that he has aggressively attacked both our current economic problems with the stimulus and the future prosperity of this country with his budget. I am also pleased with the class he displayed overseas and think he has done much to repair the America’s image abroad.

It hasn’t been perfect, and nothing ever is. I am disturbed about the decision to continue and expand the domestic surveillance program. Unfortunately, once we went down that road, there was no going back. Hopefully, Congress will do something about it when the Patriot Act renewal comes up this fall. I am also disappointed on the White House position on prosecuting torture. I understand that the majority of the people want to let it go. My fear is that letting it go will send a message to future administrations, which is, nothing will happen if you decide to torture, so if said administration feels it’s necessary, then have at. Finally, I mention the bank mess, which seems to have been placed on the back burner for the last couple of weeks.

Overall, I give the White House an A. The foundation has been laid for a stronger country. I am optimistic and look forward to health care reform and a new energy policy to become reality. It’s been an exciting start to what should be a great Presidency.

No comments:

Post a Comment