Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Conservatives Take it to the Gutter, Call Sotomayor Racist

This morning, Sonia Sotomayor was too dumb to be on the Supreme Court.  Apparently, that didn’t stick as it’s too hard to call a Summa Princeton Graduate/Yale Law Graduate stupid.   No, stupid is yesterday’s news because today she’s simply a racist:

The Republican right was expected to put up a fight over President Obama's choice for the Supreme Court, but the venomous reactions of conservative pundits have exceeded expectations.

All over the 24-hour news channels and talk radio airwaves, conservatives are attacking Sotomayor, calling the federal appeals judge a "racist" and a "bigot."

As evidence, media figures like Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh and Mark Levin, have pointed to a speech Sotomayor gave at the University of California, Berkeley, School of Law in 1992. During the speech, she said, "I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life."

Those words came as part of a discussion about the importance of judicial diversity in determining race and sex discrimination cases, but they have been widely reproduced out of context.

Media Matters offers this greatest hits:

Yuck!

Because he didn’t want to miss out on all the fun, Newt Gingrich got in on the “reverse racism” pile-on via Twitter:

Early on Wednesday, Gingrich put up a post on twitter rapping Sotomayor for saying that her background as a Hispanic female allowed her to understand cases in a different, better, manner than her white male contemporaries.

"Imagine a judicial nominee said "my experience as a white man makes me better than a latina woman" new racism is no better than old racism."

I don’t have to imagine about a judicial nominee saying it.  I just read about a former Speaker of the House saying it and I’m appalled!  Robert Gibbs, at the White House Press Briefing, shot back:

"I think it is probably important for anyone involved in this debate to be exceedingly careful with the way in which they've decided to describe different aspects of this impending confirmation," said Gibbs. "I think... when people of American and the people of the Senate get a chance to look at more than just the blog of a former lawmaker that they will come to the same conclusion as the president did... I think that when people get a chance to look at her record, I feel certain that partisan politics will take a back seat to common sense and open-minded decisions based on a full examination of the record and I think that that's what every Supreme Court and judicial nominee deserves."

Obviously, folks like Gingrich, Limbaugh, Beck, and the like don’t have to worry about re-election (Gingrich might, as there’s speculation that he’d run for President in 2012).  Their fans want red meat, and they’re getting truckloads.  That said, their fans don’t make a majority, and chief Republicans know this.  That’s why they’re taking, to their credit, a cautious approach.  However, it doesn’t help the party nationwide when 21% is having a wet dream and everybody else is disgusted by the small, loud men and women yelling racism from the right.

With that in mind and knowing that I’m a liberal Democrat, I would just like to say…

Keep it up, numbskulls!  You’re doing a heckuva job!

2 comments:

  1. The funny thing is that people on the right actually *believe* this sort of rubbish. I know! Having been raised in a Republican family, I was one until I broke ranks in my early 20's (and have not looked back since). But, like you said, keep up the talkin points, Republicans, because all you are doing is helping us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. jasonblogz: Oh man...I can't believe someone became a liberal in college! You must be one of a kind!

    I do, however, agree that this sort of rhetoric against Sotomayor is doing nothing but damaging the party. That doesn't mean I necessarily support her nomination, but this kind of knee-jerk reaction is incredibly painful to see.

    I would like to note that I don't consider myself a conservative or a liberal. All the major parties do is bicker like school children. It's embarrassing on a global level really.

    ReplyDelete