Friday, May 22, 2009

Today is My Birthday, and I’m Not Quite Sure How I Feel About It

I am 37 years old today.  This is the first birthday where I’m, for lack of a better word, indifferent.  In the past, I was always excited about it.  I was even cool with turning 30.  I felt like I had a certain level of wisdom and experience that I didn’t have in my 20’s.  I know that sounds silly because we’re always learning and hopefully changing for the better.  This year, however, feels different.  Maybe it’s because I’m a new father and, for the first time, I feel like a full blown adult.  Getting older just isn’t as exciting as it once was.  I remember as a kid, there was always an age to look forward to…16 drive, 18 graduate, 21 drink, 25 reduced auto insurance rates (what? lame!).  Now, I suppose I subconsciously transfer those anticipations onto my daughter, seeing as I’m out of age milestones and she’s full of them.

Anyway, I don’t want to get too philosophical about it.  I feel like if I get going, I’ll spend all day writing about age and wisdom.  Mostly, I just wanted to post this cult classic from the ‘80s bargain bin.  Here’s Altered Images in “Happy Birthday”!

No comments:

Post a Comment