Tuesday, June 9, 2009

GOP Cannibalism – High Drama at Last Night’s Fundraiser

My wife and I were watching the “Best of Amy Poehler” last Sunday.  The Sarah Palin/Hilary Clinton speech skit was on and my wife says to me, “What happened to Sarah Palin?  She fell off the map.”  Of course, me being the news junkie I am, said that she really hasn’t gone away, to which she replied, “Well of course you know about her, but nobody else really does.  I mean, there was the stuff about her daughter and her daughter’s baby’s daddy, but what else have we heard?”  I continued to explain how she keeps popping up as she’s been positioning herself for a 2012 presidential run and that conservatives love her.  She replied with something to the effect of, “You got to be kidding.  She’d never win.  You’d have to be a dumb ass to vote for her.” 

I do love my wife.

The timing of this conversation is a bit ironic because Sarah Palin’s appearance at a GOP fundraiser last night was big news this morning.  Who’s the leader of the GOP?!?  Was she invited, disinvited, and then invited?!?  Is it the end of the world?!?  There she is, getting mentioned right along side Newt Gingrich’s red meat speech (which, by the way, she was supposed to give, had she and her staff been a little more organized) and host Jon Voight.  The organizers of the event weren’t even sure if she was going to make it!  Regardless, this is beginning to wear some party chiefs thin.  Frankly, the whole thing is a giant billboard on the side of the freeway to let passers by know just how big of a mess the GOP is these days.  “Who are we supposed to listen to?  Rush?  Newt?  Sarah?  Cheney?  Miss California?”  It doesn’t matter because until they have a viable, reasonable message with some viable, reasonable ideas, they’re sunk.

Please, enjoy Ms. Maddow’s recap of the whole debacle:

Visit msnbc.com for Breaking News, World News, and News about the Economy

No comments:

Post a Comment