Monday, July 13, 2009

Former Health Care Exec Confesses Dirty Industry Tricks to Bill Moyers

Wendell Potter sat down for a chat with Bill Moyers over the weekend.  Potter was the head of Corporate Communications for CIGNA.  Potter crossed himself and confessed the sins of the health insurance industry to Moyers.  The Daily Kos describes these highlights:

It starts with Potter, the high paid head of public relations for CIGNA getting out of his corporate office and taking a trip to his native Tennessee:

Potter attended a "health care expedition," a makeshift health clinic set up at a fairgrounds, and he tells Bill Moyers, "It was absolutely stunning. When I walked through the fairground gates, I saw hundreds of people lined up, in the rain. It was raining that day. Lined up, waiting to get care, in animal stalls. Animal stalls.

He talks about how a lot of these executives, including himself, are so removed from the real world, that the insured are no more than just numbers.

And that was my problem. I had been in the industry and I'd risen up in the ranks. And I had a great job. And I had a terrific office in a high-rise building in Philadelphia. I was insulated. I didn't really see what was going on. I saw the data. I knew that 47 million people were uninsured, but I didn't put faces with that number.

Most interesting to me is the part about the industries attempt to discredit Michael Moore’s “Sicko”.  I’ve said this many times, but if you haven’t seen it, now is the time.  In this clip, Potter explains exactly how the insurers undermined the film:

Watch the whole interview here.  It is certainly worth your time.  Again, see “Sicko” as soon as humanly possible.

Many thanks to Twitter friend, Shoq, for the tip.

No comments:

Post a Comment