Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Obama’s Health Care Town Hall-Light on Drama, Heavy on Substance

I tuned into President Obama’s town hall like one slows down when driving past an auto accident.  I admit it, I took the advance hype bait.  I think it was on the Today Show (and if it wasn’t, I apologize) where I heard that this was to be the Super Bowl of town halls. 

The justification for such lofty hype was the fact that there was the possibility of crazy protesters getting into the building to shout the President down.  Or, at the very least, they would get in his face a little.  You know, rattle the President a bit.  Perhaps knock him off his game.

Well, nothing like that happened.  In fact, it was another, typical charming and informative Obama performance.  I’m sure conservatives are bent because it was *gasp* civil.  I’m sure there are accusations of stacking the hall deck coming from the right, if they haven’t started screaming already, forgetting that G. Dubs was the king of stacking decks.

Questions were asked and, in turn, respectfully answered.  Most importantly, many myths were disproved.  No, Death Panels do not exist in the proposed bill and will not exist.  No, you will not be forced into the public option.  Yes, you can keep the coverage you have. 

All of these things should not come as a surprise to those of you following along.  For others, hopefully they were able to find something useful and maybe some ease.  Regardless, the event was the perfect antidote to the crazy venom coming from the irrational right.

No comments:

Post a Comment