Wednesday, September 30, 2009

63% Willing to Pay Taxes for Health Care, but 35% Believe Government Can Deliver

I have always said that I would be willing to pay for quality health care, even if that health care plan is run by the Government.  It appears I’m not alone.

Most Americans would pay higher taxes to fund healthcare reforms that provide the best quality of care, but only a minority expects Washington to deliver it, according to a survey released on Wednesday.

The telephone survey of 3,003 U.S. adults conducted by Thomson Reuters found 63 percent willing to pay for healthcare reform, though most also said they are happy with their own doctors, insurance plans and out-of-pocket costs.

However, only 35 percent of those surveyed said President Barack Obama's reform agenda and the debate in Congress will lead to better health service, while 41 percent said they would expect it to lead to lower costs.

I find the second part of this interesting.  Truth be told, I agree.  I sincerely question the Government’s ability to pass any meaningful reforms, especially since it appears they’re in the insurance industry’s hip pocket.  That said, I remain optimistic as four of five proposed bills (three in the House and one in the Senate) have public options.  We’re going to see a lot of haggling and wrangling the next few weeks.  Should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment