Friday, September 4, 2009

Obama's Speech to School Children is The Most Important Event in Our Lives! Ever!

There are times when I wonder if I should say something about an issue or just leave it alone.  My gut instinct is that I shouldn't draw more attention to the matter at hand, otherwise I am helping to encourage.  Two examples would be the tax day tea bag protests and, more recently, the town hall protests.  In both instances, I left two cents, getting my jabs in when I could.  However, there were a number of stories that I left on the shelf because I didn't think I should encourage them any more.  This is a tough call because, as we have learned, crazy equals ratings, and mine have been in the tank.

Having said all of that, this will be my only comment regarding the controversy surrounding President Obama's upcoming back-to-school address.  Frankly, this is a pile-on moment.  Every blogger and journalist worth their salt should expose the right's false outrage for the fraud that it is. 

But first, I would like to take a second to discuss sheltered kids.  You know, sheltered kids are a hoot.  Everybody went to school with a sheltered kid.  They are the ones who couldn't do anything.  They couldn't watch anything.  They couldn't listen to anything.  Then one day you run into them and they have either a drug problem, a kid, or are simply a garden variety fuck-up.  They could have been normal had they had some experience and permission to develop their own tastes, but they didn't because mom and dad knew what was best.

Now, we have the leader of the free world preparing to give the students of this country a pep talk.  Work hard and stay in school are two values that nobody in this country can deny.  Instead, these whack jobs are using the event to politicize what is otherwise a message everybody can agree with.

This stupid must stop and now.  We can no longer give these people a platform to spew this idiocy.  We can no longer allow them to drag this country down with them.  There are too many other issues that are way more important than a "don't be a fool, stay in school" message.  We are spending far too much time combating this nonsense.  It's way past time we ignore these people.

As for the parents who choose to keep their kids home, I wish them all the best and hope that they never have to lock Johnny in his room with a couple of buckets in order to kick his smack problem or that Katie doesn't leave the kid with them while she parties all night.

1 comment:

  1. Love, love, love it again Andrew. You and I must be political twins.

    Alisa

    http://www.examiner.com/x-10514-Gwinnett-County-Democrat-Examiner~y2009m9d4-NASCAR-drivers-support-President-Obamas-address-to-school

    ReplyDelete