Friday, January 22, 2010

Democrats Ruin My Week

If I’ve learned anything this week, I learned that a minority has 59 out of 100 votes.

I do not believe for a second that Democrats lost in Massachusetts because voters thought the country was going too far to the left.  This is a state that likes their public medicine.  They’re already more left than most of the country.  No, Democrats lost because the people that were “fired up” and “ready to go” in November 2008 were “cooled off” and “on their ass” in January 2010.  Frankly, those folks had good reason to stay home.  Watching the Democrats work is like watching the Three Stooges prepare a dinner party.

The most frustrating thing about all of this is the reaction to the loss.  Senator Evan Bayh, my senator, said that Congress has moved too far to the left and people don’t like it.  I’d really like to know what he’s talking about.  So would Steve Benen:

But I have a couple of follow-up questions for Bayh. First, when exactly did the furthest left elements of the Democratic Party start imposing their will on the rest of the country? I like to think I pay fairly close attention to current events, and I don't recall the furthest left elements of the Democratic Party calling the shots over the last year. Indeed, the furthest left elements of the Democratic Party tend to be livid at how little they've won, generating widespread frustrations at the party's base.

Second, what would Bayh recommend for the rest of the year? Not delivering on the platform Democrats promised voters? I can see the ads now: "Vote for me -- I abandoned my agenda, ignored my mandate, and ran for the hills at the first sign of trouble."

I would love nothing more to sack Evan Bayh in the next election.  Sadly, Rep. Mike Pence, also from Indiana, is talking about running against him.  So my choices will be between a right, moderate, Democrat or one of the more vocal nutters in the house.  It just keeps getting better, doesn’t it?

Look, the solution is painfully simple.  People voted in ‘08 because they wanted change.  More importantly, kids wanted change.  Think about it.  They were going off into a world that didn’t have much for them.  The economy had just tanked and nobody was hiring.  As the saying goes, they didn’t have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of.  They’d seen their friends go off to war and the future looked bleak.  It was painfully obvious how we got into this mess and they weren’t going to vote for the old guy.  No, they were going to vote for the young guy who promised a brighter future. 

Now, it’s one year later and we’ve got nothing but frustration.  The kids stayed home because their labor in ‘08 bears no fruit.  They’re frustrated.  I’m frustrated.  I’m demoralized.  We all watch helplessly as a minority brings this country to a grinding halt and a majority, acting like the clowns they are, lets it happen.  Yeah, the people of Massachusetts had good reason to stay home.

No comments:

Post a Comment